A common theme of discussion has often been around hiking boots and finding the proper boots for your needs. One of the most common questions that hikers love to ask is should hiking boots be bigger? Many people suggest different sizes, but for the most part, finding boots that fit correctly is the best way to go.
Should Hiking Boots Be A Size Bigger?
Hiking boots should be the size that you find comfortable. You don’t want oversize hiking boots, especially when dealing with rugged and dangerous terrains. As a hiker, the more control you have over your boots, the more efficient you will be when hiking. You will also reduce the risk of not having the feel in your boots for comfort.
When it comes to finding the right hiking boots, you might often need some assistance. This article aims to reveal some of the tips and show you some of the main considerations. We will also look at why the size of the boots is important and some of the possible dangers you could face with the wrong boots.
Why Is It Important To Size Your Boots Correctly?
Wearing the correct boots for hiking will make a big difference. Instead of having an uncomfortable journey, comfortable boots will ensure that you have a better experience, and pain won’t be one of the reasons that you give up on the journey. It is important that we not only look at the upsides but also consider some of the downsides of the wrong boots:
The Impact Of Not Having The Right Boots For Hiking
Not having the correct boots will be frustrating and tedious for many people to deal with. Aside from the constant abrasions, you will need to be careful that you don’t slip. Here are some of the downsides of having boots that don’t fit you correctly:
- It could feel like a tight fit: If the boots are too small, they will stick to your feet. Your toes will carry the brunt of the pain, which could be frustrating for anyone hiking.
- They could slip off: If the boots are too large, they might accidentally slip off your feet while you are hiking.
- You are never in control: One of the main downsides is that you will never be in control. You will be a passenger in your boots, and this might lead to falling and other dangerous experiences.
- Fatigue: Having to deal with uncomfortable boots could lead to an increase in fatigue. The downside is that you will tire out more rapidly, which will defeat the purpose of having fun on the trail.
- You will need to replace them: Eventually, you will be forced to replace your boots, and while these boots are expensive, you don’t want to be in a position of buying new boots every couple of weeks.
These are only some of the downsides if you don’t have the right boots. These downsides could increase significantly if you continue to wear uncomfortable boots. Not only could it lead to foot injuries, but some of these injuries could last. You might be setting yourself up to deal with uncomfortable boots for a lifetime.
Why The Correct Size Is Important
Now that you have seen some of the downsides, we also have to look at some positives. By having the correct boots for hiking, you can share some of these benefits. Here is what you can expect if you make sure your boots are the right size:
- Comfort: The first thing you will notice is comfort. It will be far more comfortable to have the right size when hiking.
- Control: You should have complete control over the boot, making it easier to hike in dangerous areas.
- Traction: If you don’t have any feeling in your feet, you won’t have traction. However, when you know where to feel, you should have optimal traction.
- Reduced Fatigue: Another one of the benefits is that you won’t be thinking of your feet all the time. You will not have to deal with as much fatigue.
While there are plenty more benefits to having the right shoes, these are the most important. If you have the most comfortable hiking boots, you can expect these benefits that will make life that much easier for you.
Detailed Steps To Find Out What Size Hiking Boot You Need
Now that you have seen some of the upsides and downsides, you will need to understand how to choose the correct boots for your feet. We have isolated a couple of steps that should make it much easier for you to do so. Here are some of the crucial steps that will help you find the best boot for hiking:
One of the first things you will need to do is find the sizing chart. Most manufacturers will give you a sizing chart, which means you might need to measure your foot. However, the right measurements translate to the right size.
Measuring Your Feet
Depending on the sizing chart from the manufacturer, you will need to measure your feet. It will be different for each brand, but the dimensions of your foot are the most important. Once you have this, you should be able to find the right size.
Trying On The Boot After Buying
Once you have the boot, you should consider trying it on. It should be much easier to try on. If the boot does not fit, you should consider returning it to the manufacturer and requesting a different size. Most brands will give you a couple of days to test the size.
Should Hiking Boots Be A Size Bigger Summary
Finding the most comfortable boots for hiking will ensure that you have the best experience. It might not be ideal for everyone. However, you will need to make sure that the boots you buy meet your needs. If you happen to buy a boot that is too big and still comfortable, you can still use it. Let us know in the comment section what you think.
Need Help Preparing for a Hike or Backpacking Trip?
Check out our Hiking Equipment Guide for Beginners. It’s a complete list of gear that every beginner should have!